Tuesday 6 March 2012

Bristol or Bust

So almost 2 months in now and things are starting to hot up, including the weather. Now as I mentioned last week I've been looking to book up my first triathlon and I've got a date so I started having a look around for a suitable event. Why do all the events start so early in the morning meaning that registration is at some ungodly hour? I'd love to take my family with me, but how can I ask them to get up at the crack of sparrows just to freeze their butts off watching me run around the back streets of Kent. I don't mind going on my own, but where the hell am I going to put my car key? I don't want to take it in the lake with me just in case.

My next Duathlon is in Chippenham on Sunday so we are going down to Bristol on Friday night to make a weekend of it. Check out the SS Great Britain and the sights of Bristol. Also Bristol has a nice big triathlon shop. I need to get an idea of what size wetsuit I will need. If I buy one online or rent one for the season I need to get the right one. I wonder how long I can get away with being in one shop before the boys get bored? Just need to remember to take some chocolate with me to bribe them.

Week 8

Chafing is reducing nicely, but the legs feel like granite, especially my thighs. So rest seems like a really good plan, I actually feel like someone has sucked the life out of me and I still have over 10 more miles to find. Anyway enough of that stuff, I've checked the weather and at the moment Sunday is looking good, let's hope my knees feel like working.

Tuesday is busy, busy, busy at work so only time for a spin and not a lot else today, another weather check and it looks like rain on the day which isn't that great, but at least it isn't going to be cold. I'm starting to feel like a human again although I am concerned just how much these long miles take out of me. The next long run may need to be at a slower pace to see if that helps with my recovery and my ability to manage my training for the week. I can't have this one run ruining the rest of the week.

Wednesday morning dawns and my legs feel better, but the knees are still sore going up and down the stairs. Today I'm going to make the extra effort to ensure I get some swimming in. So lunchtime arrives and I head off to the pool for a swim. I then head out the pool two and a half lengths later after my goggles break. To say I was angry is the biggest understatement since some bloke on the radio described Hitler as not very nice at all. My swimming attempts seem cursed to failure at the moment.

Thursday and weather watch is looking better all the time, Sunday looks mainly dry and reasonably warm - game on.  Time to start making a list and checking it twice. Santa Claus isn't coming to town, but there are things to pack and stuff to get ready for our weekend away. No spin today, but an hour on the turbo, with a 15 minute sprint in the evening, followed by a quick check over and general maintenance. Then before bed just time for a 4 mile run, half at a steady pace then 2 miles home at full lick. Shower then bed.

I've been good with my food this week so the weight is in check, the training has gone well so the next 2 days it's all about lots of rest and lots of carbs. I want to give myself the best chance I can of doing well. I've sorted all my kit into boxes and yes I've checked it one more time just to be sure. Driving down to Bristol in the evening rush hour, which is over 3 hours away isn't ideal, but making a weekend of it and taking the family means everyone gets to enjoy themselves. Friday is always a good day because it's the start of the weekend.

Being in Bristol means that I could pop into the Triathlon shop and check out all the gear I can't possibly afford. I'd like to thank John for all the useful advice he gave me and apologise that I hadn't won the lottery so couldn't actually buy anything. The weather was great and everything seemed to be going to plan until I was seduced by a foot long from Subway. It was definitely not a low fat option, but it was the nuts. Saturday done, roll on Sunday.

Sunday morning dawns bright, clear and warm; perfect racing weather. I've played many sports and I must say that Triathlon/Duathlon events are the nicest to participate in and some of the best organised. Everyone is really nice and yes you do get the odd Audi driving wally with all the gear and Ironman tattoo, but in the main the atmosphere is brilliant. In November I finished in just over an hour and my goal was to run around the same time and bike a bit quicker. I now had bike shoes so my transitions would be slower, but I was much more comfortable being down on my handlebars and the shoes would help my time as well. So 57 minutes and 35 seconds after the start I crossed the line just over 3 minutes quicker and a very happy man. All in all it was a great day, the family had fun, I had a good race and we celebrated with a Chinese take away, happy days.

Training this week
Swimming 5 minutes
Cycling 1.25 hours

Cross training 0 hours

Competition 1 hour

No comments:

Post a Comment