Monday 9 January 2012

Out with the old and in with the new

So this is 2012, time to begin the journey to who knows where. According to my highly scientific if rather geeky colour coded training schedule it looks like I'll either be training, eating or showering for the next 9 months. The plan to do a single triathlon this year has grown wings and now involves Duathlons, a return visit to the Reading half marathon, the birth place of all this fun, the London Marathon in April followed by at least 2 triathlons.

This all started when my best friend Steve decided he was getting on a bit (he had just passed 30) and he wanted to challenge himself. He wanted someone to accompany him on the adventure, someone who would badger and cajole him through his torment. Stand up yours truly. Well being 6 foot 7 is a challenge in itself but Steve wanted to do something that was a real tough ask and we decided that getting his 18.5 stone monster frame around  13.1 miles of a half marathon was the thing for us. Well after 5 months of training and 2:04:00 running Steve lay knackered on the floor just over the finishing line, saying never again, but 30 minutes later his recovery was in full effect and the warm glow that comes from successfully completing his goal had taken hold. While still clinging to his never again line I suggested doing a triathlon because there's less running involved and he was a much better swimmer than me. And, as they say, the rest is history, my obsession began and we are where we are....

Just so you know while Steve was 31, I'm 41 and I completed the half marathon in 1:59:18. I'll fill in the rest of the gaps in the back story as we go. So I've decided to write down all that happens this year and hopefully it may help others by sharing their pain and showing anything is possible. If not it will give me something to base next year on. I'm officially a novice veteran and that's a first for me, so shall we begin?

Week 1

The much maligned but highly informative magnificent A3 colour coded schedule started on Monday 2nd so Sunday was a freebie. I'd been doing bits and piece over December to help retain some level of fitness so in keeping with the glorious plan I decided on a cheeky 7.5 mile run to the pier and back. The run was before breakfast after a late night and as I set off I could still taste my hastily consumed banana.  Spent Sunday afternoon reading up on bike set ups and rider positions, I like my magazines but god it's easy to spend money on all this stuff.

Monday is a rest day. Nothing strenuous today so I decided to put my new tyres on my bike and what a nightmare that was, managed it in the end, just, then struggled to re-align the back wheel. Decided to put my elastic laces in my trainers to see how they feel. Decided to finish the day with some core exercises and some press ups for my yet to be discovered swimming power.

20 Days till the Dorney Lake Duathlon, need to work off this Christmas food.
Tuesday - 3 Mile Run.Cold and windy run late in the evening, need to make sure I remember the gloves next time.

Wednesday was meant to be a 1500m swim but I felt knackered after just a few lengths so after drinking the pool 3 times I decided to work on my technique instead, I wasn't getting anything from the session. It was a bit of a let down to be honest.

Spin class Thursday morning then a 3 mile run in the evening, really didn't fancy the run at all, I was still feeling jaded from my first spin class in nearly 3 weeks. But as I got in to the run I really started to enjoy it, I was running on dead legs, something I need to get used to and still running at a good pace. Felt really good at the end and slept well that night.

Friday is also a rest day, but the wife was going swimming so I joined her.  I worked on my breathing and my wonky right arm. Managed to drink the pool again, but by the end I felt I'd improved so happy days.

Saturday was a 17 mile cycle with 12 miles at race speed, which was somewhat slower than I had hoped. Managed to spend most of the time on the drop bars so that was good, but I do need to find some more speed from somewhere and reasonably soon. Any suggestion on the back of a postcard please.

My good friend Bernie had a birthday get together Saturday night and I had a few sherberts to help him celebrate. I don't drink so Sunday's run was pushed back to the evening, best decision I've made all year. 8 mile run done in reasonable time considering how I felt most of the day. Celebrated the run with 10 jelly babies.

So week 1 out the way and just 15 more till the London Marathon. Not a bad start, except for that poxy back wheel on my bike.

Swimming - 1 hour
Cycling - 2.25 hours
Running - 2.25 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment