Sunday 15 January 2012

Self concious in my one piece

Now I've never been dangerously thin, I've always been on the chunky side, nothing really big mind you, but I've got a stocky build with quite broad shoulders. I tried pretty hard to lose a bit of weight knowing that every pound I carry needs to be hauled around whatever course I'm competing on plus at some stage I would have to don the tri-suit. To date I've done well and lost a stone and I'm now pretty lean, but I do still dread that one piece number just a bit. The wife said to go for black because it hides any unsightly lumps and bumps and to be fair it was great advice. Avoid stripes they are a big no no.

 I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, but it does feel a little off putting, although not as strange as my new cycling bib shorts that feel like I've dropped a massive log in my undies, but clothing issues aside I'm feeling pretty good about things although I know I've got lots to sort out. Firstly I can swim 1500m, but not all front crawl so that's going to need sorting. Plus I've only ever swam in the sea on holiday so open water swimming with no lines to follow and wearing a wetsuit will also need some attention once the weather improves. I have a bike and I can ride it so that's good and well, running is pretty straight forward although after completing the other two disciplines sounds less appealing. Enough waffle lets crack on.

Week 2
Monday is my rest day and after 8 miles last night I'm not in any fit state to slip in any kind of extra curricula activity so guess what, I rested although being ridiculous obsessed I did spend a few hours either thinking, writing or reading about some kind of sporting event ending in a on of some kind.

Tuesday was a spin class in the morning, very good exercise and top music to boot, with a 3 mile run in the evening. These are meant to be easy runs I'm doing mid week, but with my first Duathlon less than 2 weeks away and each running leg being 5km it's a great chance to get a good idea of how fast I can go. 23 mins at the moment but I reckon I can trim a bit off that. I know I'm not one to give tips, but I do find it easier to run without my music. I can concentrate on my pace and breathing much better and better form means a quicker time.

Wednesday is pool day and this evening I was determined to swim the full 1500m without any attempted drownings which seemed like a good challenge, half way up the first length I decided to up the anti to front crawl every other length, god knows why. After 16 lengths my dream was in tatters and I reverted to every 4th length to ensure completing my distance. All was going well and I slipped in an extra front crawl on number 42 and after feeling okay after length 44 I decided to swim the last 12 front crawl as this was 2 more than my personal best. I turned down 48 and took a cheeky 4 seconds to let a faster swimmer past and set off only to realise 9 strokes later that my maths was pony and I actually had 13 more lengths to do. Well it wasn't pretty, it's wasn't powerful and it wasn't fast, but I did it and by my calculations I'd managed 30 lengths of freestyle, can't really call them all front crawl that would be infringing its trademark, but I proved to myself I could do it.
Treated myself to 20 minutes in the hot tub and a bottle of full fat coke. Job well done sunbeam.

Holy crap, nearly barfed in my spin class Thursday morning and then for good measure Sam slipped in extra speed track, but it was worth it because I also treat myself to beans and sausages on bread for lunch on spin days. So scrummy. Was pretty busy today so left my run until after 9:30, not ideal, but better that than missing it completely. Despite the late time the run was quicker than Tuesday and I felt okay when I finished. I do feel like I've not done the run justice because I can still stand at the end of it, but I need to be able to cycle and run again on race day so I have to learn some control. Shower and bed.

So back round to Friday my other rest day for the week. I was feeling pretty good this morning so I toddled on down to the pool for a swim. Nothing too strenuous mind, but enough to get the heart pumping. Enjoyed the swim but it tired me out and now I'm eating Jaffa cakes.

Saturday is cycle day but rather than ride 12 miles hard I thought I'd do about 25 and take it easy, just enjoy myself. It was pretty cold today and down the sea front was a tad bracing, but I was really enjoying the fresh air and the longer I rode the faster I went. I ended up downing 40.5km in 1 hour 35 minutes which is very quick for me, considering my target for the 40k Olympic bike leg is 90 minutes. I felt great and I was really pumped, lets see how I feel after my 10 mile run tomorrow, perhaps then I might think otherwise. Anyhow this calls for a double portion of jellybabies.

Sunday is my long run day and because of the London marathon they are getting longer in a hurry. 10 miles today and as I get out of bed I'm pleasantly surprised with how good my thighs are feeling. It's definitely gloves weather and the wind is up a bit so time to dig in and do my best. As I walk up my drive, glad its all over the watch says just under 85 minutes which I'm really happy with. What a great weekend. In the afternoon we'd arranged a family swim, but all I could face was a few lengths of rest stroke and a lot of splashing around with my baby nephew. I am officailly knackered.

So the verdict on week 2 is all good. I'm feeling stronger, my times are all getting better and my wonky right arm seems to be playing ball. Bring on numero tres, its 7 days to the Dorney Lake Duathlon so I'll lighten the training load pre-competition, can't wait.

Training this week
Swimming- 1.5 hours
Cycling- 3 hours
Running- 2.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment